Droupadi Murmu vs Yashwant Sinha; Elections for the 15th President of India are being held today. Two candidates – from NDA Droupadi Murmu and Opposition Yashwant Sinha. Many are counting support for Ms Murmu.
Facts on the upcoming Presidential Election Droupadi Murmu vs Yashwant Sinha
- More than 600 electors, including PM Modi, former PM Manmohan Singh have voted so far at the elections.
- The election coincided with the first day of Parliament’s Monsoon session. Murmur was the country’s strongest contender before 2017
- NDA chose Ms Murmu is seen as a calculated move, as firstly because she is a tribal woman and former Jharkhand Governor.
- Ms Murmu assured of support by Chief Minister of Bihar
- Along with BJP, factions of the Shiv Sena – also expected to support Murmu.
- Uddhav Thackeray is also supporting her.
- The decision to support her, after 16 MPs met Thackeray and suggested that the vote for Ms Murmu.
- The Opposition on the other hand settled for Mr Sinha – a former Union Minister under Vajpayee Government.
- Nationalist Congress Party Chief Sharad Pawar and many others declined to vote.
- The President is elected by the members of the Electoral College, comprising elected members of both houses of Parliament and legislative assemblies.